Saturday 3 August 2013

A Recipe for Eating Healthily



Experts

People seem to be ravenous to know and hungry to read all about healthy eating and all things dietary.  
To prove the point, six of this week’s ten best selling hardback non-fiction books are about food.[1]  
Everybody from Mary Berry to hairy bikers are at it – and, I suspect, making a nice living in the process.

So, why not me?   
On second thoughts, maybe that isn’t a good idea.   
I’m not a celebrity chef, I’m not a food critic, I’m not a dietician, I’m not any kind of health guru, I have no qualifications in food science or oenology.

What I do have, however, is many years of experience in food and wine – mostly in the eating department, sometimes as a purchaser, and occasionally preparing edible delights.  
Based on this curriculum vitae, I have opinions about certain items of food and drink which I consider to be good for my health.

An inescapable part of modern life is the constant bombardment of information from experts recommending what we should and shouldn’t consume.  
We who occupy retirement-land can use our own judgement on such matters.  We have an enhanced sense of what is needed to stay healthy.  
Aware of our own mortality, we of all people are not going to eat unhealthily.    
For us, therefore, the proposition in favour of a good diet is axiomatic.   
Don’t argue with us.

It is, of course, entertaining and informative to read what the experts have to recommend.  Nigel Slater, Jamie Oliver and Nigella Lawson are outstanding for their creative flair and sheer artistry.  
Their gift is to add novelty and excitement to dining, giving us the benefit of their considerable culinary expertise.

Experience

But what retired people know, especially when eating to promote good health, is that we are all different.  What agrees with you might not agree with me.  

Everybody has a different physiological make-up, I’m an ectomorph others are endomorphs, and we all have different tastes, preferences, intolerances even.  I, for instance, have a syndrome resulting in retention of iron.

Since retiring, therefore, I have developed my own dietary philosophy adapting to my new status in life and geared to being strong and healthy.   
The big theme is that I eat when I’m hungry.  For this rocket science, I deserve a PhD.  
It sounds obvious, but let me amplify the point anecdotally.

I remember writing and choreographing a sketch about thirty or more years ago for the Omagh Ladies Circle (wives of Round Table members), their competition entry to perform a one-minute advertisement for a health-food product.   
While their rivals sang and danced extolling the virtues of products like ginseng and Aloe Vera, my sketch adopted the music of Handel to gush melodic and lyrical praise on what I consider to be the ultimate health drink, revealed tantalisingly only in the final words - aqua vitae, water, the real uisce bheatha.

This is a slightly circuitous way of introducing what my mother used to describe as the most important meal of the day.

Breakfast

Getting up in the morning, my need for food is not an immediate priority.   
The first item I consume is water, as much as possible.  Think cleansing and flushing out the internal organs of the body, detoxifying naturally.  
My system needs a gentle start before I am hungry enough to eat.

A little later I will slice up a chilled orange and after that an indulgence, still concentrating on liquids.  
Some months ago, my wife spotted a product which she knew would appeal to my taste buds and their predilection for yoghurt.  An exhilarating and healthy start to the day is provided by a small glass of pouring yoghurt, the natural variety (when available) rather than the flavoured options, and adding an actimel drink which comes in a range of gorgeous flavours.  
It’s easily digestible, refreshing, brimming with goodness, and blissfully tasteful.

If I am attending a morning gym class, the chilled orange and yoghurt usually suffice for now.  In which case, I can postpone the main breakfast course.   
After exercise, hunger asserts itself.  That main course is rolled oats porridge, but not on its own.

I have been using my own recipe for a few years.  
I discovered latterly that Paula Radcliffe (who holds the world record for the women’s marathon) does likewise.   
I pour manuka honey, the 15+ (the level of its special antibacterial activity) and then add a chopped up banana to the top of the hot brachán, and finish by adding a generous helping of full fresh milk over the surface.   
Slow release energy, low in cholesterol, containing enough goodness and energy to power a body for at least 26.2 miles, and in record time.  Definitely worth trying.

Hotel breakfasts are another matter.  Every time I stay in Scottish and Irish hotels, I always order kippers rather than a fried breakfast.   
According to one report,[2]

“as a sustainable fish they are on the Marine Conservation Society's list of fish to eat” and sales have increased substantially in recent years.

To think that eating fish used to be undertaken on Fridays as a penance.   
The contemporary cooking method of modern chefs makes this humble fish a blissful delight which, unlike the fry-up, actually makes me feel alive and alert.  
Maybe it’s the omega 3 oils that make it so agreeable.



Supplements

I notice food supplements on sale in gyms, health food shops and in supermarkets.  
I hear their benefits advocated by fitness experts and know many people who use them to improve their strength and to aid a quicker recovery from exercise.

For my part, however, a balanced diet using natural foods is enough to preclude the need for additives.  In addition to the theme of hunger to justify food, my second guiding principle is to consume natural products.  I concur with the contemporary adage that we must try more to live in harmony with nature.
I prefer to adhere to water, bananas, oily fish, manuka honey, fresh fruit and vegetables, brown bread and pasta, fresh fish and white meat, and avoid processed products, salt and additives.   
That still leaves plenty of leeway to avoid any necessity for a monastic existence of self-denial.

Calorie-free food

What I do not recommend are low fat foods, essentially because they are tasteless and low in nutrition.  
Low-fat cheese strikes me as a contradiction in terms.  Anyway, the body needs a reasonable modicum of natural fat.   
When I add milk to my porridge, it has to be full cream milk.  When I make a mug of hot chocolate, it has to be made with proper full milk, and with plenty of chocolate to taste.

By the way, there is new empirical evidence which advocates the health benefits of drinking hot chocolate (based on a study of people with an average age of 73). http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/uk/hot-chocolate-keeps-brain-healthy-29483016.html 

Normally I will use an olive-oil-based spread on toast or bread.  
If, however, I have tea with a scone in mid-morning, I want proper Irish butter to complement the baker’s artistry and enhance its wonderful flavour.

Tea

I have one of my daughters to thank for introducing me to green tea, red bush tea, and peppermint tea.  
Green tea with a slice of lemon is my breakfast choice, and the other two take their turn during the day.   
Having adjusted my taste buds, I now prefer these varieties with their incidental health-giving properties.

Bananas

Bananas seem to be the ultimate food. I propose two reasons as justification.
  
The first argument is that because they contain three natural sugars (sucrose, fructose and glucose) combined with fibre, they give an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy.   
I ate at least 20 on the recent two days of the 220 mile bike sportive, the Maracycle.

The second point is that bananas also seem to be something of a panacea.  
They can help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions.  
Here are a few examples:-



  • *      According to a survey undertaken by MIND, the mental health charity, many people suffering from depression felt much better after eating a banana.  This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.
  • *      Because the banana is high in potassium yet low in salt, it a good way to combat blood pressure.  So much so, that the US Food and Drug Administration has allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.
  • *      One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to have a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey.  The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.
  • *      The banana is used as a dietary response to address intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness.  It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronicler cases.  It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.
  • *      Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates the body's water balance.  When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels.  These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack.
 
Food economics

No aspect of life, especially for retired people, can escape the damage caused by the euphemistically-called economic downturn of the last four years.  
I blogged about the big global economic issues on the eve of June’s summit of world leaders in Co Fermanagh (“The G8 Lough down”).[3]   
The economics and politics of food production are no different.

Two issues come to mind.   
One relates to the difficulties faced by retired people on low income – pensioner poverty – and for whom the priority is not so much eating healthily, as being able to afford food with what meagre income they have.

The other issue is the political economy which has allowed a situation to develop where the free market is failing the producers of food.  
The example we hear quoted is that of farmers who receive less than it costs them to produce milk.  
A new poll commissioned by the Prince’s fund[4] reveals that a majority of British consumers would be prepared to pay more for food if they knew that the extra was going to farmers rather than supermarket shareholders.”


Family life

People criticise Government for being insufficiently supportive of family living. 
One aspect that is noticeable about life in the countries of southern Europe is that extended families come together especially when they dine together in the evening or at weekends.   
Food becomes an essential part of making it the occasion special and generations unite.  Spaniards, Italians, Croats and Greeks live longer than us, they dine healthily and they enjoy their food convivially en famille.

Food, like exercise, should be enjoyed.  
It does not necessarily mean being well-to-do either.   
Free products exist such as water, natural products like porridge, kippers and bananas do not cost a lot, and expensive products like manuka honey can be used sparingly.   
Pursuing a healthy dietary regime which includes exercising will save the NHS a lot of time and money caring for retired people.

More importantly it can, in my opinion,  help justify drinking an extra glass of life-enhancing Chilean red wine or a bottle of premium German beer brewed organically using 400 year old recipes, followed by a slice of home-made sponge cake or a piece of chilli chocolate.  

Life tastes good.

But can I compete with the hairy bikers?
 

©Michael McSorley 2013


[1] The Times Review 20072013
[2] The Guardian 07042012
[3] http://michaelmcsorleyeconomics.blogspot.co.uk/
[4] The Observer 21072013 p6 “The era of cheap food is over, says Tesco boss.” By Jay Rayner

No comments:

Post a Comment